An oblong, rectangular face shape is most noted for its length, squared chin and jaw. The rectangular face is known as being the “face shape of models”, with actresses and models with a reputation for being “sexy” often having a rectangular face. The squared chin and jaw can prevent sagging with age, while using makeup to carry attention to the cheekbones and hollows of the cheeks can create a dramatic appeal unlike any other face shape.
Oblong – Rectangle
If you would like to make your face appear more oval in shape, then keep reading on below:
- choosing a necklace both with a short chain and a curved design — this curvature can come from the chain itself or more likely from a pendant or multiple pendants coming from it.
- When looking for necklaces other than those containing a largely circular-based focus on design, look for pendants that form horizontal shapes, or even swing back and forth as you sway!
- Bulky necklaces which feature darker colors on the inside, and lighter ones toward the outside of the necklace are also perfect for the rectangle shaped face!
But maybe you’d rather bring out your face shape and use it to compliment your style. If so, then read on below:
While the rectangle face can pull off many styles, it excels in being able to pull off exaggerated necklaces and overdone galleria pieces. A piece of jewelry that may look gaudy when worn with another face shape can look expensive and extravagant when worn by someone with a rectangular face. Long, stringy necklaces will do your face shape no good, but layered necklaces where each layer is a different length or necklaces with long strands of beads or rivets can compliment your face shape perfectly! To best show off your face shape:
- Play around with necklaces featuring both shorter chains and extravagant, angular pendants and designs. The strong edges will help to draw out the angular and sharper features of your face.
- You may find great inspiration from couture runway and fashion shows, where models are more likely to have a rectangular face shape, and to also draw attention to it.
Oblong – Square
If you wish your face was a little bit longer and would like to bring out the youthful curves of your face shape, read along here:
- Necklaces with long chains, focusing on those with a single pendant in the center or a few pendants that are all focused toward the center of the necklace. This will both elongate the face and narrow the jawline.
- When choosing appropriate pendants, take a look for those with swirl designs and curving shapes — this doesn’t mean the shapes have to be circular! Oval, tear drop, and infinity shapes are just some of the many ideal shapes for the square face.
If on the other hand, you would rather bring out the natural beauty of your face shape, follow along here:
To draw focus to your face shape, you can do three things:
- To draw attention to the angles of your face shape, look for necklaces with thicker chains or pendants with square or rectangular shapes or designs.
- To draw attention to the angles of your chin while lengthening your jaw, utilize pendants featuring inverted triangle shapes or designs, or any design for that matter that is flat and wider on top, but narrower and more pointed at the bottom.
- To bring out the youthful roundness of your face shape, use a necklace with many angles to detract from the sharpness, while using the short length to create the illusion of a move rounded face.
With the square face shape, there is a wide assortment of ways you can play with how you show your face, so don’t be afraid to play around a little!